How can we apply new modelling techniques to better understand the causes of and responses to human-wildlife conflict?
I am an interdisciplinary conservation scientist interested in the interactions between poor rural communities and their local environment. In particular how they interact and how we can plan conservation interventions that improve wellbeing amongst local communities while also protecting the ecosystems upon which they rely. I have a BSc in Environmental Sciences from UEA, a PGCert in Managing Rural Development from SOAS and a MSc in Conservation Science from Imperial College London.
My current research focuses on human-carnivore conflict in Ruaha National Park, Tanzania. I am looking at how negative attitudes towards carnivores are created in the villages surrounding the park and how these attitudes translate into retaliatory behaviour. I will also be modelling the wider impact of different retaliatory behaviour against carnivores on other wildlife and how this may feedback into the human-carnivore conflict system, for instance will lethal control of lions result in more herbivores and an increase in crop raiding?
- Dorward, L. J., Mittermeier, J. C., Sandbrook, C., & Spooner, F. (2016). Pokémon Go: Benefits, Costs, and Lessons for the Conservation Movement. Conservation Letters, (in press).
- Dudley, J. P., Hang’Ombe, B. M., Leendertz, F. H., Dorward, L. J., Castro, J., Subalusky, A. L., & Clauss, M. (2016). Carnivory in the common hippopotamus Hippopotamus amphibius: implications for the ecology and epidemiology of anthrax in African landscapes. Mammal Review.
- Dorward, L. J. (2015). New record of cannibalism in the common hippo, Hippopotamus amphibius (Linnaeus, 1758). African Journal of Ecology, 53(3), 385-387.
- Dorward, L.J., 2014, Predation of Elaphe dione (Pallas, 1773) by Dolichophis caspius (Gmelin, 1789) (Squamata: Colubridae). Herpetology Notes 7, 165-166.
- Jones, S.E.I, Dorward, L.J., 2014, Possible scavenging behaviour in Ornate Hawk-eagle Spizaetus ornatus; Amazonas, Brazil. Revista Brasileira de Ornitologia 22(1), 27-31.
- Rayan, D.M., Mohamad, S.W., Dorward, L., Aziz, S.A., Clements, R.B., Wong, C., Traeholt, C., Magintan, D., 2012, Estimating the population density of the Asian Tapir Tapirus indicus from a selectively logged forest in Peninsular Malaysia. Integrative Zoology 7, 373-380
- Dorward, L.J., 2012, Where are the best opportunities for reducing greenhouse gas emissions in the food system (including the food chain)? A comment. Food Policy 43, 465-466.
•Dorward, L. 2013. Estimating the population density of the Asian Tapir Tapirus indicus from a selectively logged forest in Peninsular Malaysia. Poster for Cambridge Student Conference on Conservation Science.
•Dorward, L. 2014. Using Social Network Analysis to inform the design of conservation interventions. Talk for Cambridge Student Conference on Conservation Science.